Long-term care for elderly people

All you need to know about long-term care

As we all live longer, more and more families have to face moving a loved one into long-term care. It is a complex field, with many rules and regulations, particularly over who funds the care. We know how apprehensive and unaware many families are about local authority funding assessments and have made advising on long-term care one of our specialties.

What happens when mental capacity wanes?

For more information on The Court of Protection and who can be appointed as a deputy.

A person may be suffering from mental incapacity because of learning difficulties, old age and mental illness or as a result of an accident or medical negligence.

The law defines someone lacking mental capacity if they cannot do at least one of the following:

  • Communicate their decision by any possible means, including talking, sign language or simple muscle movements such as blinking an eye or squeezing a hand
  • Weigh up the information available to make a decision
  • Retain that information long enough to make a decision
  • Understand information given to them

"We are very happy to meet clients in their own house or in care homes"

At Guardian Solicitors, we provide legal advice and practical help to families, professionals, local authorities and charities working with and caring for people who are unable to make decisions for themselves. We are extremely aware of the sensitive nature of our work, and we bend over backwards to provide you with a highly personalised and responsive service. We are very happy to meet clients in their own house or in care homes, and we will liaise with family, friends and care professionals whenever necessary.

So how can you help us?

We can apply to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a deputy and the approval of gifts and statutory wills as well as more complex applications; support lay deputies in carrying out their role and duties, and act as a professional deputy.